Monday, February 25, 2008

my unified world theory part ncaa: coaches and mascots

In my ideal world, college basketball programs would include in their requirements when looking for coaches a simple question: Does he (or she, but who am I kidding - it's always a he*) resemble our mascot?

Hence, it was pure genius for Wisconsin to hire Bo Ryan:



















And it was not a bad move for Georgetown to scoop up John Thompson III (for more reasons than just family loyalty):
















So despite my sadness that Kelvin Sampson blew his shot with IU**, I'm taking some solace in the fact that he now is free to pursue his ultimate dream job. Coaching the Cal. Bears:




















*I cannot even tell you how happy I was to hear an honest-to-god female color commentator for a Men's Division I game this weekend. And she was GOOD.

**IU is one of my two college basketball teams - both parents (and tons of extended family) went to IU. In the interest of full disclosure, since I'm likely to have some March Madness ramblings here, the other is my law school - Georgetown - I was there when Iverson was playing. Unbelievable.

No comments: